Articles Tagged taxes
It's "Cyber Monday"! Or, as Forbes.com said, "It's the most wonderful tax evasion day of the year!" Last year, the top online retailers (Amazon, Wal-Mart, Best Buy, Target and JCPenney) reported nearly 77 million hits on Cyber Monday. As you shop online, we thought we'd spotlight some bills related to internet taxation.
Bills Related to Internet Taxes
Weigh in on these bills that have been introduced by Congress. POPVOX will deliver your message to Congress. ("What is POPVOX?")
- HR 3086Permanent Internet Tax Freedom Act: to make the moratorium on Internet access taxes and multiple and discriminatory taxes on electronic commerce permanent. (Also S 31 in Senate and HR 434 in the House)
- S 1431Internet Tax Freedom Forever Act: amends the Internet Tax Freedom Act to make permanent the ban on state and local taxation of Internet access and on multiple or discriminatory taxes on electronic commerce.
- HR 2487E-SHOP Act: directs the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) to promulgate rules requiring an Internet merchant with annual gross revenue of more than $1 million to disclose to each consumer, prior to the final purchase of any good or service, the use of personal information in establishing or changing a price.
- S 1364Digital Goods and Services Tax Fairness Act: to promote neutrality, implicity, and fairness in the taxation of digital goods and digital services.
- S 743Marketplace Fairness Act: to restore States’ sovereign rights to enforce State and local sales and use tax laws with respect to remote sales under provisions of the Agreement. Defines "remote sale" as a sale of goods or services into a state in which the seller would not legally be required to pay, collect, or remit state or local sales and use taxes unless provided by this Act. (Also HR 684 in the House and S 336 in the Senate.)
Please keep in mind that highlighting a bill doesn't imply a POPVOX endorsement in any way. Rather, we're simply trying to offer one more way to stay informed of an overwhelmingly complex legislative system.
(For media inquiries, please contact Marci Harris, POPVOX’s CEO, at firstname.lastname@example.org.)
- POPVOX Daily Digest - December 11, 2013
- POPVOX Daily Digest - December 10, 2013
- POPVOX Daily Digest - December 9, 2013
- The Week Ahead: Dec. 9 - 13
- The POPVOX Top 20: Nov. 29 - Dec. 5
- POPVOX Daily Digest - December 5, 2013
- POPVOX Daily Digest - December 3, 2013
- POPVOX Daily Digest - December 2, 2013
- Issue Spotlight: Internet Taxes
- The Week Ahead: Dec. 2 - 6