Articles Tagged startups
The POPVOX team was invited to attend the State of Entrepreneurship briefing last week. In conjunction with this event, the Kauffman Foundation released two reports: "State Startup Act" and "License to Grow." (POPVOX was one of several startups invited to attend the event.)
Inspired by the event, we pulled together a list of bills relating to startups. We hope you'll weigh in on these bills on POPVOX and share with your friends and networks.
Issue Spotlight: Startups
- HR 2941 The Startup Expansion and Investment Act (and S 1962) makes the internal control reporting and assessment requirements of the Sarbanes-Oxley Act of 2002 optional for certain smaller companies.
- S 1965 The Startup Act (and HR 3427) jump-starts economic recovery through the formation and growth of new businesses.
- HR 3571 The Entrepreneur Startup Growth Act directs the Commissioner of Internal Revenue to establish a self-employment tax initiative grant program.
- S 565 The Startup Visa Act (and HR 1114) establishes an employment-based immigrant visa for alien entrepreneurs who have received significant capital from investors to establish a business in the U.S.
- S 2088 The Small Business Startup Support Act amends the tax code to permanently double the amount of start-up expenses entrepreneurs can deduct from their taxes.
Please keep in mind that highlighting a bill doesn't imply a POPVOX endorsement in any way. Rather, we're simply trying to offer one more way to stay informed of an overwhelmingly complex legislative system.
They've Got Your Backers in Entrepreneur Magazine
We are super excited to showcase POPVOX as one of eight finalists in the Social Media category in the SxSW BizSpark Accelerator Competition. We would like to thank the Academy... er, Advisory Board ... (can you tell we are a little nervous?) Our category will present at 12:30 central time on Monday, March 14 and each company will have 2 minutes (TWO MINUTES!!) to tell their story in front of some pretty incredible judges .
We even made a Twitter list of judges and companies if you would like to follow their travels and adventures over the next few days: @POPVOX/sxsw-accelerator . You can learn a lot about these amazing people via Twitter, for example:
1. Everyone is excited about #4sq3
2. Adam Ostrow ( @adamostrow ) is a rock star. When I started following him, (no joke) I got: "Since you followed Adam Ostrow, you might also want to follow @aplusk & @RyanSeacrest ." (Maybe the SxSW Accelerator is more American Idol than I thought.)
4. Robert Scoble (@ Scobleizer ) is... There is nothing I could tell you that you do not already know about Robert Scoble, and his whereabouts.
On a serious note, the chance to present at this competition is an enormous honor for the POPVOX team. We are a nontraditional company that came to startup world not as serial entrepreneurs, but with a deep, personal understanding of some big problems that affect us all, and some very specific ideas about how to fix them. The SxSW stage gives us a chance to tell that story, and see if we can find the support that will help us build what so many of you have already told us makes you feel more empowered in contacting your legislators and making your voice heard.
Check back for updates! And please, if you are in Austin, let's get together! Email us (firstname.lastname@example.org), tweet us ( @POPVOX ), and come see our presentation on Monday at 12:30.
(For media inquiries, please contact Marci Harris, POPVOX’s CEO, at email@example.com.)
- The POPVOX Top 20: May 17 - 23
- POPVOX Daily Digest - May 22, 2013
- Issue Spotlight: Sexual Assault in the Military
- POPVOX Daily Digest - May 21, 2013
- POPVOX Daily Digest - May 20, 2013
- The Week Ahead: May 20 - 25
- POPVOX Daily Digest - May 17, 2013
- What to Watch in Congress - Week of May 19
- The POPVOX Top 20: May 10 - 16
- Issue Spotlight: Firearms and Gun Control