Articles Tagged SOPA (Stop Online Piracy Act),
For those wondering what would follow the record-breaking week of internet advocacy around SOPA (the Stop Online Piracy Act): the issue that brought the most activity in messages to Congress this week on POPVOX was the “Traveling Exotic Animal Protection Act" H.R. 3359, pitting animal rights advocates against those who work with animals in traveling shows.
While H.R. 3359 moved fewer people than the over 10,000 who weighed in last week on SOPA using POPVOX, its opponents and proponents demonstrated similar passion. From January 20 to January 27, nearly 700 people weighed in on the Traveling Exotic Animal Protection Act, 54% in support, 46% in opposition. While messages came in from constituents in every state and nearly every Congressional district, the most active was that of Vern Buchanan (R, FL-13), with thirty-six people weighing in (14% supported and 86% opposed).
The bill is pending in the House Agriculture Committee, chaired by Representative Frank Lucas (R, OK-3). Three constituents from Mr. Lucas’ district opposed the bill. None weighed in from the district of Ag Committee Ranking Member Collin Peterson (D-MN, 7).
The Top Five Trending Bills on POPVOX for the week of January 20 are:
1. H.R. 3359: Traveling Exotic Animal Protection Act from Rep. James Moran [D, VA-8].
1330 TOTAL, 678 for the week (53% support, 47% oppose)
2. H.R. 3814: To prohibit the Department of Justice from tracking and cataloguing the purchases of multiple rifles and shotguns, from Rep. Justin Amash [R, MI-3].
595 TOTAL, 571 for the week (75% support, 47% oppose)
3. H.R. 3594: Second Amendment Protection Act of 2011, from Rep. Joe Walsh [R, IL-8].
611 TOTAL, 596 for the week (89% support, 11% oppose)
4. S. 1973: A bill to prevent gun trafficking in the United States, from Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand [D, NY].
421 TOTAL, 400 for the week(29% support, 71% oppose)
5. H.R. 3261: Stop Online Piracy Act from Rep. Lamar Smith [R, TX-21]
14,720 TOTAL, 383 for the week (3% support, 97% oppose)
(Note: I've updated this post since originally posting it this afternoon.)
Everyone's buzzing about SOPA, the Stop Online Piracy Act (HR 3261), on the Hill and across the Internet. Already, more than 8,000 people have voiced their position on the bill using the POPVOX platform. Here's an update on the bill.
- HR 3261 The Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) promotes prosperity, creativity, entrepreneurship, and innovation by combating the theft of U.S. property.
The Latest on SOPA1/17 UPDATE: SOPA Markup to Resume in February
House Judiciary Committee Chairman Lamar Smith said on Jan. 17 that he expects the Committee to continue its markup of the Stop Online Piracy Act in February: "To enact legislation that protects consumers, businesses and jobs from foreign thieves who steal America's intellectual property, we will continue to bring together industry representatives and Members to find ways to combat online piracy." (Read his full statement.)1/14 UPDATE: SOPA Not Heading to the House Floor
House Oversight and Government Reform Committee Chairman Darrell Issa announced on Jan. 14 that SOPA will not be heading to the House floor. "Majority Leader Cantor has assured me that we will continue to work to address outstanding concerns and work to build consensus prior to any anti-piracy legislation coming before the House for a vote," said Chairman Issa. "The voice of the Internet community has been heard." (Read his full statement.)SOPA Blackout Day, Jan. 18
Many websites are planning to "go dark" tomorrow in protest against SOPA and its related Senate bill, PIPA (S 968). While POPVOX is neutral and doesn't take positions on bills, including SOPA or PIPA, we are 100% on board with any effort to help people understand how Congress works and how to engage with the Congressional process. To that end, we will be participating in "Better Activism Day" on Jan. 18.Join POPVOX for "Better Activism Day", Jan. 18
Better Activism Day, coordinated by Clay Johnson, author of the Information Diet is geared for activists that want to make Congress listen to citizens better -- through improved advocacy, transparency reforms and a better understanding of how Congress works. POPVOX's CEO, Marci Harris, will be presenting at 4:30pm Eastern. Join us via livestream starting at 10am Eastern. (See the agenda.)
Please keep in mind that highlighting a bill doesn't imply a POPVOX endorsement in any way. Rather, we're simply trying to offer one more way to stay informed of an overwhelmingly complex legislative system.
They've Got Your Backers in Entrepreneur Magazine
(For media inquiries, please contact Marci Harris, POPVOX’s CEO, at email@example.com.)
- POPVOX Daily Digest - June 19, 2013
- POPVOX Daily Digest - June 18, 2013
- The Week Ahead: June 17 - 21
- The Hill 101: Discharge Petition
- What to Watch in Congress - Week of June 16
- POPVOX Daily Digest - June 14, 2013
- The POPVOX Top 20: June 7 - 13
- POPVOX Daily Digest - June 12, 2013
- POPVOX Daily Digest - June 11, 2013
- POPVOX Daily Digest - June 10, 2013