Weekly Bill Roundup: Feb. 7
While firearms and gun control continue to be on the top of POPVOX users' minds, we are beginning to see an uptick in activity around issues related to the debt ceiling and federal budget. Already, more than 20 bills related to guns have been introduced. (See the full list.) And in the coming days, we expect to hear from House Democrats as they unveil their gun-control agenda. So stay tuned!
Another trending issue is the federal budget. As the March 1 deadline for Sequestration quickly approaches, Congress must decide once again whether to take action on deficit reduction. Congress was unable to reach agreement on spending cuts last year, but agreed to delay Sequestration until March 1 as part of the American Taxpayer Relief Act of 2012 that avoided the full "Fiscal Cliff." Congress needs to hear from their constituents -- and you can weigh in on Sequestration on POPVOX.
Here are the bills and proposals that POPVOX users weighed in on with Congress in the past week. This week, we're highlighting newcomers on the list. Let us know if this is helpful! Keep in mind that these numbers aren't aggregates of total support, but just what happened in the past seven days.
Top Bills of the Week: Feb. 1 - 7
- S 174#1 The Ammunition Background Check Act: A bill to appropriately restrict sales of ammunition. -- Debuting on the "Top Bills" list! --
- HR 437#2 The Assault Weapons Ban: To regulate assault weapons, to ensure that the right to keep and bear arms is not unlimited. -- Debuting on the "Top Bills" list! --
- S 179#3 The Gun Trafficking Prevention Act: A bill to prevent gun trafficking. -- Debuting on the "Top Bills" list! --
- S 150#4 The Assault Weapons Ban: A bill to regulate assault weapons, to ensure that the right to keep and bear arms is not unlimited.
- HR 367#5 The Regulations From the Executive in Need of Scrutiny (REINS) Act: to provide that major rules of the executive branch shall have no force or effect unless a joint resolution of approval is enacted into law. -- Debuting on the "Top Bills" list! --
- Guns#6 Common Sense Legislation to End Gun Violence: Washington needs to pass gun laws that will keep guns out of the hands of criminals and other prohibited purchasers and keep military-style weapons and high-capacity magazines off of our streets. (Sponsored campaign by Mayors Against Illegal Guns*)
- HR 444#7 The Require Presidential Leadership and No Deficit (Require a PLAN) Act: To require that, if the President’s fiscal year 2014 budget does not achieve balance in a fiscal year covered by such budget, the President shall submit a supplemental unified budget by April 1, 2013, which identifies a fiscal year in which balance is achieved. -- Debuting on the "Top Bills" list! --
- S 46#8 The Ensuring the Full Faith and Credit of the US and Protecting America's Soldiers and Seniors Act: A bill to protect Social Security benefits and military pay and require that the United States Government prioritize all obligations on the debt held by the public in the event that the debt limit is reached. -- Debuting on the "Top Bills" list! --
- HR 431#9 To restore certain authorities of the ATF to administer the firearms laws.
- HR 449#10 The Veterans' Heritage Firearms Act: To provide an amnesty period during which veterans and their family members can register certain firearms in the National Firearms Registration and Transfer Record. -- Debuting on the "Top Bills" list! --
- S 82#11 The Separation of Powers Restoration and Second Amendment Protection Act: A bill to provide that any executive action infringing on the Second Amendment has no force or effect, and to prohibit the use of funds for certain purposes.
- S 147#12 The Common Sense Concealed Firearms Permit Act: A bill to establish minimum standards for States that allow the carrying of concealed firearms.
- S 33#13 The High Capacity Ammunition Feeding Device Act: A bill to prohibit the transfer or possession of large capacity ammunition feeding devices.
- HR 427#14 The Trafficking Reduction and Criminal Enforcement (TRACE) Act: To prevent the illegal sale of firearms. -- Debuting on the "Top Bills" list! --
- HR 410#15 The Restore the Constitution Act: To provide that any executive action infringing on the Second Amendment has no force or effect, and to prohibit the use of funds for certain purposes.
- S 35#16 The Stop Online Ammunition Sales Act: A bill to require face to face purchases of ammunition, to require licensing of ammunition dealers, and to require reporting regarding bulk purchases of ammunition.
- HR 452#17 The Gun Trafficking Prevention Act: To prevent gun trafficking. -- Debuting on the "Top Bills" list! --
- HR 138#18 The Large Capacity Ammunition Feeding Device Act: To prohibit the transfer or possession of large capacity ammunition feeding devices.
- HR 235#19 The Veteran Emergency Medical Technician Support Act: To amend the Public Health Service Act to provide grants to States to streamline State requirements and procedures for veterans with military emergency medical training to become civilian emergency medical technicians. -- Debuting on the "Top Bills" list! --
- HR 117#20 The Handgun Licensing and Registration Act: To provide for the mandatory licensing and registration of handguns. -- Debuting on the "Top Bills" list! --
Please keep in mind that highlighting a bill doesn't imply a POPVOX endorsement in any way. Rather, we're simply trying to offer one more way to stay informed of an overwhelmingly complex legislative system.
*POPVOX invites organizations to create "sponsored campaigns" on POPVOX, which include policy principles and actionable items directed at Congress.