Weekly Bill Roundup: Jan. 24
In this week's roundup of bill, firearms and gun control continue to be on the top of POPVOX users' minds. Not surprisingly, Congress keeps introducing new bills related to guns. (See the full list.)
Here are the bills and proposals that POPVOX users weighed in on with Congress in the past week. This week, we're highlighting newcomers on the list. Let us know if this is helpful! Keep in mind that these numbers aren't aggregates of total support, but just what happened in the past seven days.
Top Bills of the Week: Jan. 18 - 24, 2013
- HR 226#1 The Support Assault Firearms Elimination and Reduction for our Streets (SAFER STREETS) Act: To allow a credit against tax for surrendering to authorities certain assault weapons. -- Debuting on the "Top Bills" list! --
- Guns#2 Common Sense Legislation to End Gun Violence: Washington needs to pass gun laws that will keep guns out of the hands of criminals and other prohibited purchasers and keep military-style weapons and high-capacity magazines off of our streets. (Sponsored campaign* by Mayors Against Illegal Guns)
- HR 227#3 The Buyback Our Safety Act: To establish a gun buyback grant program.
- HR 238#4 The Fire Sale Loophole Closing Act: To restrict the ability of a person whose Federal license to import, manufacture, or deal in firearms has been revoked, whose application to renew such a license has been denied, or who has received a license revocation or renewal denial notice, to transfer business inventory firearms. -- Debuting on the "Top Bills" list! --
- HR 138#5 The Large Capacity Ammunition Feeding Device Act: To prohibit the transfer or possession of large capacity ammunition feeding devices.
- HR 142#6 The Stop Online Ammunition Sales Act: To require face to face purchases of ammunition, to require licensing of ammunition dealers, and to require reporting regarding bulk purchases of ammunition.
- HR 133#7 The Citizens Protection Act: To repeal the Gun-Free School Zones Act of 1990 and amendments to that Act.
- HR 236#8 The Crackdown on Deadbeat Gun Dealers Act: To ensure greater accountability by licensed firearms dealers. -- Debuting on the "Top Bills" list! --
- Guns#9 New Version of the Federal Assault Weapons Ban Senator Dianne Feinstein (D-CA) is working on a new version of the federal Assault Weapons Ban, a law she helped write in 1994 and has been trying to revive since it expired in 2004. The legislation, which will be introduced in 2013, proposes a ban on assault weapons and large ammunition magazines, strips and drums that hold more than 10 rounds -- but would grandfather in weapons and magazines purchased legally before the new law takes effect. (Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-CA, will introduce this bill on Jan. 24, 2013)
- HR 321#10 The Firearm Safety and Public Health Research Act: To amend the Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2013 (Public Law 112-175) to permit research on firearms safety and gun violence. -- Debuting on the "Top Bills" list! --
- HR 117#11 The Handgun Licensing and Registration Act: To provide for the mandatory licensing and registration of handguns.
- HJRes 15#12 Resolution repealing the 22nd Amendment, removing Presidential term limits.
- Guns#13 Protecting law-abiding Americans' Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms for self-defense. Congress needs to protect the Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms and oppose all legislation that would penalize law-abiding citizens by banning guns, ammunition, or magazines. (Sponsored campaign* by Firearms Policy Coalition)
- HR 21#14 The NRA Members' Gun Safety Act: To provide for greater safety in the use of firearms.
- HR 34#15 The Blair Holt Firearm Licensing and Record of Sale Act: To provide for the implementation of a system of licensing for purchasers of certain firearms and for a record of sale system for those firearms.
- HR 141#16 The Gun Show Loophole Closing Act: To require criminal background checks on all firearms transactions occurring at gun shows.
- S 35#17 The Stop Online Ammunition Sales Act: A bill to require face to face purchases of ammunition, to require licensing of ammunition dealers, and to require reporting regarding bulk purchases of ammunition. -- Debuting on the "Top Bills" list! --
- HRes 35#18 Resolution expressing no confidence in the Attorney General of the United States and calling for his immediate resignation. -- Debuting on the "Top Bills" list! --
- S 33#19 The High Capacity Ammunition Feeding Device Act: A bill to prohibit the transfer or possession of large capacity ammunition feeding devices. -- Debuting on the "Top Bills" list! --
- HR 65#20 The Child Gun Safety and Gun Access Prevention Act: To prevent children’s access to firearms.
Please keep in mind that highlighting a bill doesn't imply a POPVOX endorsement in any way. Rather, we're simply trying to offer one more way to stay informed of an overwhelmingly complex legislative system.
*POPVOX invites organizations to create "sponsored campaigns" on POPVOX, which include policy principles and actionable items directed at Congress.