The Week Ahead for Congress: Nov. 13 - 16
Bills before Congress: November 13
From our Hill Sources: The House and Senate are finally back after a long recess! There's a lot on the table for this Lame Duck Session. Here's what's expected to move this week.
The Senate will take up:
- S 3525The Sportsmen Act: to protect and enhance opportunities for recreational hunting, fishing, and shooting.(Senate vote this week.)
The House will take up:
- HR 6156The Russia and Moldova Jackson-Vanik Repeal and Sergei Magnitsky Rule of Law Accountability Act: To authorize the extension of nondiscriminatory treatment (normal trade relations treatment) to products of the Russian Federation and Moldova and to require reports on the compliance of the Russian Federation with its obligations as a member of the World Trade Organization (House vote this week.)
- HR 6190The Asthma Inhalers Relief Act: To direct the Administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency to allow for the distribution, sale, and consumption in the United States of remaining inventories of over-the-counter CFC epinephrine inhalers. (House vote this week.)
- HR 6371The Streamlining Claims Processing for Federal Contractor Employees Act: To transfer certain functions from the General Accountability Office to the Department of Labor relating to the processing of claims for the payment of workers who were not paid appropriate wages under certain provisions of such title. (House vote this week.)
- S 1956The European Union Emissions Trading Scheme Prohibition Act: To prohibit operators of civil aircraft of the United States from participating in the European Union’s emissions trading scheme (House vote this week.)
- HR 6586 To extend the application of certain space launch liability provisions through 2014 (House vote this week.)
- HR 6570 To amend the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 and the Emergency Economic Stabilization Act of 2008 to consolidate certain CBO reporting requirements (House vote this week.)
- HR 6116 To amend the Revised Organic Act of the Virgin Islands to provide for direct appeals to the United States Supreme Court of decisions of the Virgin Islands Supreme Court, as amended (House vote this week.)
- HR 5934The Stop Tobacco Smuggling in the Territories Act: To include certain territories and possessions of the United States in the definition of State for the purposes of chapter 114, relating to trafficking in contraband cigarettes and smokeless tobacco. (House vote this week.)
(If you'd like this alert emailed to you directly once a week, please send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.)
Please keep in mind that highlighting a bill doesn't imply a POPVOX endorsement in any way. Rather, we're simply trying to offer one more way to stay informed of an overwhelmingly complex legislative system.