Weekly Bill Round Up: Week of 5/21
Round Up: Week of May 21 - 25
Here's the weekly round-up from our "Hill sources": The House was in recess this week. The Senate voted on a few bills before it left for the Memorial Day break, but failed to make progress on others.
The National Defense Authorization Act for FY 2013 (HR 4310) was the most popular bill on POPVOX this week. Here's the rest of the list. (Weigh in on the top 20 bills on POPVOX using the links below -- and get the round up.)
Weigh in on the Top Bills of the Week
- HR 4310 #1 - National Defense Authorization Act for FY 2013
- S 3187 #2 - Food and Drug Administration Safety and Innovation Act
- HR 2657 #3 - Refuge from Cruel Trapping Act
- S 2343 #4 - Stop the Student Loan Interest Rate Hike Act
- HR 5740 #5 - National Flood Insurance Program Extension Act
- S 3205 #6 - Ex-Patriot Act
- HRes 662 #7 - Expressing support for prayer at school board meetings
- HR 4043 #8 - Military Readiness and Southern Sea Otter Conservation Act
- HR 5651 #9 - Food and Drug Administration Reform Act
- HR 5846 #10 - Second Amendment Sovereignty Act
- HR 2674 #11 - 340B Program Improvement Act
- HR 4170 #12 - Student Loan Forgiveness Act
- HR 4970 #13 - Violence Against Women Reauthorization Act
- HR 4224 #14 - OPTION Act
- HR 2672 #15 - Preserving Access to Orphan Drugs Act
- HR 3523 #16 - Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act (Passed by the House on April 26)
- HR 4117 #17 - Prohibiting the use of Afghan Nationals as security forces on U.S. military bases
- HR 3594 #18 - Second Amendment Protection Act
- HR 3035 #19 - Mobile Informational Call Act
- S 1108 #20 - 10 Million Solar Roofs Act
Weekly Round-Up from POPVOX's Hill Sources
The House was in recess this week. The Senate voted on a few bills before it left for the Memorial Day break, but failed to make progress on others.
Bills that the Senate passed
- S 3187 The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Safety and Innovation Act: Senators overwhelmingly approved a bill reauthorizing the Food and Drug Administration's user fee program for drugs and medical devices, and expanded that program. The Senate approved the FDA Safety and Innovation Act in a 96-1 vote.
- HR 5740 The National Flood Insurance Program Extension Act: The Senate approved a new bill that extends the National Flood Insurance Program for 60 days. The program expires at the end of May. The House is expected to follow suit next week when it returns.
- S 2367 The 21st Century Language Act: The Senate approved a new bill striking the word "lunatic" wherever it appears in U.S. law. This bill was passed by unanimous consent.
- HR 4097 The John F. Kennedy Center Reauthorization Act: The Senate approved this bill and sent it to the White House for the President to sign it into law.
- S 739 The Senate approved authorizing the installation of battery charging stations in the Capitol parking lot, for electric cars.
Bills the Senate considered, but didn't pass
- S 2343 The Stop the Student Loan Interest Rate Hike Act: Before leaving, the Senate voted against two bills that would keep the student loan interest rate low for another year. The Senate voted on the Democratic bill, The Stop the Student Loan Interest Rate Hike Act, but that failed 51-43 (60 votes were needed). The Democratic bill expanded the payroll tax to pay for the loan rate extension.
- S 2366 The Interest Rate Reduction Act: The Republican student loan bill, The Interest Rate Reduction Act, was voted down 34-62. The Republican bill pays for the change by terminating a healthcare fund.
- S 1925 The Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) Reauthorization: The Senate left without making any headway toward reauthorizing VAWA, leaving the issue until June to sort out. Democrats made an attempt to move their bill, S. 1925, and Republicans made an attempt to move the House Republican bill, HR 4970.
Please keep in mind that highlighting a bill doesn't imply a POPVOX endorsement in any way. Rather, we're simply trying to offer one more way to stay informed of an overwhelmingly complex legislative system.