POPVOX Evening Update: November 14, 2012
According to our Hill Sources:
On Wednesday, the House passed several noncontroversial bills on suspension:
- HR 2606 The New York City Natural Gas Supply Enhancement Act which authorizes a pipeline to deliver gas to parts of New York City.
- HR 5934 ensuring the application of laws that ban illegal tobacco products in the U.S. to U.S. territories.
- HR 6570 allowing for reduced reporting on how stimulus and bank bailout funds.
The Senate approved two non-controversial bills and a resolution:
- HR 6118 The Taking Essential Steps for Testing Act which would give the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services more flexibility in determining fines for labs that improperly perform their periodic proficiency testing.
- HR 6131 extending the Undertaking Spam, Spyware, and Fraud Enforcement with Enforces beyond Borders Act (SAFE WEB Act). The SAFE WEB act helps the U.S. Federal Trade Commission enforce anti-fraud rules across international borders.
- SJRes 596 allowing donations to be made in the Capitol building for victims of Hurricane Sandy.
- S 3414 The Cybersecurity Act The Senate tried again to advance this bill by holding a vote to end debate on the bill. But it needed 60 votes in favor, and it failed, 51-47.