New Bills in Congress: July 9 - 13
Here is the list of newly introduced bills -- one of the most popular requests among POPVOX users. We hope you'll weigh in on these bills and share the list with your friends and networks.
- HR 6130 The National Treasure Promotion and Investment Act: To require priority visa processing for visitors to National Heritage Areas or National Parks, to invest in communities hosting these national treasures.
- HR 6129 The Ban the Use of Credit Scores in Auto Insurance Act: To amend the Fair Credit Reporting Act to prohibit the use of consumer reports and consumer information in making any determination involving auto insurance with respect to a consumer.
- HR 6128 The Help Separated Families Act: To amend part E of title IV of the Social Security Act to ensure that immigration status alone does not disqualify a parent, legal guardian, or relative from being a placement for a foster child, to prohibit a State, county, or other political subdivision of a State from filing for termination of parental rights in foster care cases in which an otherwise fit and willing parent or legal guardian has been deported or is involved in (including detention pursuant to) an immigration proceeding, unless certain conditions have been met.
- HR 6127 The Liquidity Enhancement for Small Public Companies Act: To amend the Securities Exchange Act of 1934 to enable national securities exchanges to provide financial incentives to market-makers that adhere to objective standards that increase the liquidity and depth of the public capital markets and promote enhanced trading and price-discovery for smaller public companies.
- HR 6126 For the relief of Azucena Salazar Bazan.
- HR 6125 : To amend the Federal Deposit Insurance Act and the Federal Credit Union Act with respect to privilege of information provided to Federal and State agencies.
- HR 6124 The Families Flying Together Act: To direct the Secretary of Transportation to issue regulations with respect to ensuring families are able to sit together on flights.
- HR 6123 The Fulfilling Our Promise to Student Veterans Act: To clarify the authority of the Secretary of the Army to correct erroneous Army College Fund benefit amounts.
- HR 6122 : To revise the authority of the Librarian of Congress to accept gifts and bequests on behalf of the Library.
- HR 6121 The Victory for Veterans Stamp Act: To provide for the issuance of a Victory for Veterans stamp.
- HR 6120 : To amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to allow a credit against tax for qualified manufacturing facility construction costs.
- HR 6119 The Entrepreneur-in-Residence Act: To establish a program to accelerate entrepreneurship and innovation by partnering world-class entrepreneurs with Federal agencies.
- HR 6118 The Taking Essential Steps for Testing Act: To amend section 353 of the Public Health Service Act with respect to suspension, revocation, and limitation of laboratory certification.
- HR 6117 The Protecting Employees and Retirees in Business Bankruptcies Act: To amend title 11, United States Code, to improve protections for employees and retirees in business bankruptcies.
- HR 6116 : To amend the Revised Organic Act of the Virgin Islands to provide for direct appeals to the United States Supreme Court of decisions of the Virgin Islands Supreme Court.
- HR 6115 The Give Families Better Tools to Save for Education Act: To amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to increase the contribution limit for Coverdell education savings accounts from $2,000 to $10,000.
- HR 6114 To amend title 40, United States Code, to grant veterans access to Federal excess and surplus property.
- HR 6113 To repeal a limitation on annual payments under the Surface Mining Control and Reclamation Act of 1977.
- HR 6112 The Employee Verification Act: To require Federal contractors and other recipients of Federal funds to participate in the E-Verify Program for employment eligibility verification, to permanently reauthorize the E-Verify Program.
- HR 6111 The Vulnerable Veterans Housing Reform Act: To exclude from consideration as income under the United States Housing Act of 1937 payments of pension made under section 1521 of title 38, United States Code, to veterans who are in need of regular aid and attendance.
- HR 6110 The Customs Training Enhancement Act: To establish educational seminars at United States ports of entry to improve the ability of U.S. Customs and Border Protection personnel to classify and appraise articles that are imported into the United States in accordance with the customs laws of the United States.
- HR 6109 The Investing in American Innovation Act: To amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to extend the research and development tax credit, to limit treaty benefits with respect to certain deductible related-party payments, and to treat general aviation aircraft as 7-year property.
- HR 6108 : To reduce the pay of Members of Congress who miss votes because of campaigning for election to another office.
- HR 6107 The Veterans E-Health & Telemedicine Support Act (VETS Act): To amend title 38, United States Code, to improve the ability of health care professionals to treat veterans via telemedicine.
- HR 6106 The Forensic Science and Standards Act: To establish scientific standards and protocols across forensic disciplines.
- HR 6105 : To amend the Federal Home Loan Bank Act to allow non-Federally insured credit unions to become members of a Federal Home Loan Bank.
- HR 6104 The Working Families Tax Protection Act: To provide a temporary extension for the middle class of certain tax relief enacted in 2001, 2003, and 2009.
- HR 6103 The Stop Medicare Fraud Act: To amend title XI of the Social Security Act to increase fines and penalties for Medicare fraud to augment Medicare fraud enforcement activities, such as the Health Care Fraud and Enforcement Action Team (HEAT) program.
- HR 6102 The America's Small Business Tax Relief Act: To amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to provide tax relief for small businesses.
- HR 6101 The Student Veteran Academic Counseling Enhancement Act (Student Veteran ACE Act): To amend title 38, United States Code, to improve educational counseling opportunities for veterans.
- HR 6100 The Middle Class Tax Cut Protection Act: To amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to provide a temporary extension of the 2001 and 2003 tax cuts for the middle class.
- HR 6099 The Supporting Entrepreneurial Economic Development Act (SEED Act): To amend the Public Works and Economic Development Act of 1965 with respect to grants for economic adjustment.
- HR 6098 The Crop Insurance Subsidy Reduction Act: To amend the Federal Crop Insurance Act to immediately reduce crop insurance premium subsidy rates from the higher subsidies provided since the Agricultural Risk Protection Act of 2000.
- HR 6097 The Religious Freedom Tax Repeal Act: To exempt employers from any excise tax and certain suits and penalties in the case of a failure of a group health plan to provide coverage to which an employer objects on the basis of religious belief or moral conviction.
- HR 6096 The Atlantic Fisheries Statutes Reauthorization Act: To reauthorize various Acts relating to Atlantic Ocean marine fisheries.
- HR 6095 The Morris Soskil Path to the Purple Heart Act: To authorize the Secretaries of the military departments to provide an exception to the standards for awarding the Purple Heart for veterans of World War II whose service records are incomplete because of damage to the permanent record.
- HR 6094 The Raechel and Jacqueline Houck Safe Rental Car Act: To amend title 49, United States Code, to prohibit rental of motor vehicles under a safety recall because of a defect related to motor vehicle safety or noncompliance with an applicable motor vehicle safety standard until the defect or noncompliance is remedied
- HR 6093 To establish a moratorium on aerial surveillance conducted by the Administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency under the Federal Water Pollution Control Act.
- HR 6092 Wildland Firefighters Health Protection Act: To implement updated pay and personnel policies in order to improve the recruitment and retention of qualified Federal wildland firefighters and to reduce the Federal Government's reliance on the more costly services of non-Federal wildfire resources.
- HR 6091 The Dept. of the Interior, environment, and related agencies appropriations
- HR 6090 To amend the South Carolina National Heritage Corridor Act of 1996 to designate the management entity for the South Carolina National Heritage Corridor
- HR 6089 The Healthy Forest Management Act: To address the bark beetle epidemic, drought, deteriorating forest health conditions, and high risk of wildfires on National Forest System land and land under the jurisdiction of the Bureau of Land Management in the United States by expanding authorities established in the Healthy Forest Restoration Act of 2003 to provide emergency measures for high-risk areas identified by such States, to make permanent Forest Service and Bureau of Land Management authority to conduct good-neighbor cooperation with States to reduce wildfire risks
- HR 6088 Total Repeal of the Unfair Taxes on Healthcare Act: To repeal certain tax increases enacted as part of health care reform.
- HR 6087 International Protecting Girls by Preventing Child Marriage Act: To protect girls in developing countries through the prevention of child marriage
- HR 6086 The Hunt Unrestricted on National Treasures Act (HUNT Act): To direct the heads of Federal public land management agencies to prepare reports on the availability of public access and egress to Federal public lands for hunting, fishing, and other recreational purposes, to amend the Land and Water Conservation Fund Act of 1965 to provide funding for recreational public access to Federal land
- HR 6085 To amend section 40 of the Revised Statutes of the United States to clarify that for purposes of determining whether a Member of the House of Representatives is subject to a deduction from in pay by reason of absence from the House on a day, the Member shall be considered to be absent if the Member misses any vote held in the House on that day
- HR 6084 The Teacher Education for Autistic Children Act (TEACH Act): To amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to provide a refundable tax credit for education and training expenses relating to autism spectrum disorders to increase the number of teachers with such expertise.
- HR 6083 Federal Agriculture Reform and Risk Management Act: To provide for the reform and continuation of agricultural and other programs of the Department of Agriculture through fiscal year 2017
- HR 6082 Congressional Replacement of President Obama's Energy-Restricting and Job-Limiting Offshore Drilling Plan: To officially replace, within the 60-day Congressional review period under the Outer Continental Shelf Lands Act, President Obama’s Proposed Final Outer Continental Shelf Oil & Gas Leasing Program (2012-2017) with a congressional plan that will conduct additional oil and natural gas lease sales to promote offshore energy development, job creation, and increased domestic energy production to ensure a more secure energy future in the United States.
- HR 6081 Advancing Innovative Manufacturing Act: To accelerate research, development, and innovation in advanced manufacturing, to improve the competitiveness of American manufacturers
- HR 6079 Repeal of Obamacare Act: To repeal the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act and health care-related provisions in the Health Care and Education Reconciliation Act of 2010.
- S 3384 The Supplemental Agricultural Disaster Assistance Extension Act: A bill to extend supplemental agricultural disaster assistance programs.
- S 3383 A bill to reject the final 5-year Outer Continental Shelf Oil and Gas Leasing Program for fiscal years 2012 through 2017 of the Administration and replace the plan with a 5-year plan that is more in line with the energy and economic needs of the United States.
- S 3382 The Sunshine for Regulatory Decrees and Settlements Act A bill to impose certain limitations on consent decrees and settlement agreements by agencies that require the agencies to take regulatory action in accordance with the terms thereof.
- S 3381 The Protecting Employees and Retirees in Business Bankruptcies Act: A bill to amend title 11, United States Code, to improve protections for employees and retirees in business bankruptcies.
- S 3380 The Victory for Veterans Stamp Act: A bill to provide for the issuance of a Victory for Veterans stamp.
- S 3379 The Small Refiner Relief Act: A bill to standardize the definition of the term “small business refiner” for purposes of laws administered by the Environmental Protection Agency.
- S 3378 The Forensic Science and Standards Act A bill to establish scientific standards and protocols across forensic disciplines.
- S 3377 The Philanthropic Enterprise Act: A bill to amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to exempt private foundations from the tax on excess business holdings in the case of certain philanthropic enterprises which are independently supervised.
- S 3376 The Preventing Abuse of Cough Treatments Act (PACT Act): A bill to amend the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act to prevent the abuse of dextromethorphan.
- S 3375 The Berryessa Snow Mountain National Conservation Area Act: A bill to designate the Berryessa Snow Mountain National Conservation Area in the State of California.
- S 3374 A bill to amend the Public Rangelands Improvement Act of 1978 to establish criteria for the rate of fees charged for grazing private livestock on public rangelands.
- S 3373 A bill to require the Attorney General to issue a report on the Alaska Rural Justice and Law Enforcement Commission.
- S 3372 The Military Service Integrity ActA bill to amend section 704 of title 18, United States Code.
- S 3371 The Renewable Energy Environmental Research Act: A bill to establish, within the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, an integrated and comprehensive ocean, coastal, Great Lakes, and atmospheric research, prediction, and environmental information program to support renewable energy,
- S 3370 The Albuquerque, New Mexico, Federal Land Conveyance Act: A bill to authorize the Administrator of General Services to convey a parcel of real property in Albuquerque, New Mexico, to the Amy Biehl High School Foundation.
- S 3369 The DISCLOSE Act: A bill to amend the Federal Election Campaign Act of 1971 to provide for additional disclosure requirements for corporations, labor organizations, Super PACs and other entities
- S 3368 A bill to amend the Food and Nutrition Act to prohibit the provision of funds made available to carry out that Act in any State that allows income deductions for controlled substances, including medical marijuana.
- S 3367 A bill to deter the disclosure to the public of evidence or information on United States covert actions by prohibiting security clearances to individuals who make such disclosures.
- S 3366 A bill to designate the Haqqani network as a foreign terrorist organization.
- S 3365 A bill to authorize the Attorney General to award grants to State courts to develop and implement State court interpreter programs.
- HRes 730 Urging the Government of Ukraine to ensure free and fair parliamentary elections on October 28, 2012, by adhering to democratic standards, establishing a transparent electoral process and releasing opposition leaders sentenced on politically motivated grounds.
- HRes 729 Reaffirming the commitment of the House of Representatives to American manufacturing and jobs.
- HRes 728 Recognizing the commencement of Ramadan, the Islamic holy month of fasting and spiritual renewal, and commending Muslims in the United States and throughout the world for their faith.
- HRes 727 The Congressional Research Service Electronic Accessibility Resolution: Directing the Clerk of the House of Representatives to provide members of the public with Internet access to certain Congressional Research Service publications.
- HRes 725 National Dance Day: Expressing support for dancing as a form of valuable exercise and artistic expression and for the designation of July 28, 2012, as National Dance Day
House Concurrent Resolutions
(used to take action or express opinion on behalf of both the House and the Senate)
- HConRes 131 Expressing support for continued international cooperation to combat HIV/AIDS.
Senate Concurrent Resolutions
(used to take action or express opinion on behalf of both the House and the Senate)
- SCRes 50 A concurrent resolution expressing the sense of Congress regarding actions to preserve and advance the multistakeholder governance model under which the Internet has thrived.
House Joint Resolutions
(used to pose constitutional amendments, fix technical errors or to appropriate)
Senate Joint Resolutions
(used to pose constitutional amendments, fix technical errors or to appropriate)
- SJRes 47 United States Intelligence Professionals Day: A joint resolution amending title 36, United States Code, to designate July 26 as United States Intelligence Professionals Day.
Please keep in mind that highlighting a bill doesn't imply a POPVOX endorsement in any way. Rather, we're simply trying to offer one more way to stay informed of an overwhelmingly complex legislative system.