Mid-Week Update, June 20
Mid-week Update, June 20
From our Hill Sources: The Senate has started the lengthy task of voting on amendments to the Farm Bill, while the House has approved several bills this week:
- HR 2578 The Conservation and Economic Growth Act: This bill is made up of several pieces of legislation from both Republicans and Democrats, though many Democrats have expressed opposition to a provision that would ease environmental rules to allow Customs and Border Protection agents to operate on federal border lands unhindered.
- SJRes 37 Disapproving of the Environmental Protection Agency's rule on mercury and air toxics standards. The resolution would allow Congress to block the EPA's rule from last February. A procedural vote will happen Wednesday in the Senate, though it is not expected to pass. The Obama administration opposes the resolution.
The following other non-controversial bills were approved Monday and Tuesday:
- HRes 683 Expressing the regret of the House of Representatives for the passage of laws that adversely affected the Chinese in the United States, including the Chinese Exclusion Act.
- HR 1272 The Minnesota Chippewa Tribe Judgment Fund Distribution Act.
- HR 1556 To amend the Omnibus Indian Advancement Act to allow certain land to be used to generate income to provide funding for academic programs.
- HR 2938The Gila Bend Indian Reservation Lands Replacement Clarification Act.
- HR 3668 The Counterfeit Drug Penalty Enhancement Act.
- HR 4027 To clarify authority granted under the Act entitled "An Act to define the exterior boundary of the Uintah and Ouray Indian Reservation in the State of Utah."
- S 404 To modify a land grant patent issued by the Secretary of the Interior.
- S 684 To provide for the conveyance of certain parcels of land to the town of Alta, Utah.
- S 997 The East Bench Irrigation District Water Contract Extension Act.
Please keep in mind that highlighting a bill doesn't imply a POPVOX endorsement in any way. Rather, we're simply trying to offer one more way to stay informed of an overwhelmingly complex legislative system.