Issue Spotlight: Women's Health
The President issued a proclamation on May 14 for a National Women's Health Week, and "to promote awareness, prevention, and educational activities that improve the health of all women." We'd like to take this opportunity to spotlight bills related to women's health. Please weigh in on POPVOX, and share this list with your friends and networks.
Issue Spotlight: Women's Health
- S 1765 Consolidation of Grants to Strengthen the Healthcare System’s Response to Domestic Violence, Dating Violence, Sexual Assault, and Stalking Act amends the Public Health Service Act to provide grants to strengthen the healthcare system’s response to domestic violence, dating violence, sexual assault, and stalking.
- S 966 The Bone Health Promotion and Research Act amends the Public Health Service Act to provide for osteoporosis and related bone disease education, research, and surveillance, and for other purposes.
- HR 2233 The Breast Cancer Patient Equity Act (and S 1217) amends title XVIII of the Social Security Act to provide coverage for custom fabricated breast prostheses following a mastectomy.
- S 438 The Heart Disease Education, Analysis, Research, and Treatment for Women Act (and HR 3526) amends the Public Health Service Act to improve women’s health by prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of heart disease, stroke, and other cardiovascular diseases in women.
- HR 2141 The Maximizing Optimal Maternity Services for the 21st Century Act promotes optimal maternity outcomes by making evidence-based maternity care a national priority.
- HR 383 The Menopausal Hormone Replacement Therapies and Alternative Treatments and Fairness Act provides for coverage of hormone replacement therapy for treatment of menopausal symptoms, and for coverage of an alternative therapy for hormone replacement therapy for such symptoms, under the Medicare and Medicaid Programs, group health plans and individual health insurance coverage, and other Federal health insurance programs.
- HR 5647 The Pregnant Workers Fairness Act eliminates discrimination and promote women’s health and economic security by ensuring reasonable workplace accommodations for workers whose ability to perform the functions of a job are limited by pregnancy, childbirth, or a related medical condition.
- HR 2020 The Preservation of Access to Osteoporosis Testing for Medicare Beneficiaries Act (and S 1096) amends title XVIII of the Social Security Act to improve access to, and utilization of, bone mass measurement benefits under the Medicare part B program by extending the minimum payment amount for bone mass measurement under such program through 2013.
- HR 3620 The Quality Care for Moms and Babies Act (and S 1969) amends title IX of the Social Security Act to improve the quality, health outcomes, and value of maternity care under the Medicaid and CHIP programs by developing a maternity care quality measurement program, evaluating maternity care home models, and supporting maternity care quality collaboratives.
- HR 2332 The Robin Danielson Act amends the Public Health Service Act to establish a program of research regarding the risks posed by the presence of dioxin, synthetic fibers, and other additives in feminine hygiene products, and to establish a program for the collection and analysis of data on toxic shock syndrome.
- HR 5748 The United States Leadership to Eradicate Obstetric Fistula Act provides assistance to sub-Saharan Africa to combat obstetric fistula.
- HR 1578 The Violence Against Women Health Initiative Act amends the Public Health Service Act to improve the health care system’s assessment and response to domestic violence, dating violence, sexual assault, and stalking.
- HR 809 directs the Secretary of Veterans Affairs to display in each facility of the Department of Veterans Affairs a Women Veterans Bill of Rights.
Please keep in mind that highlighting a bill doesn't imply a POPVOX endorsement in any way. Rather, we're simply trying to offer one more way to stay informed of an overwhelmingly complex legislative system.