Issue Spotlight: Voting Rights
Issue Spotlight: Voting Rights
In case you hadn't noticed, Election Day is almost around the corner. Or at least it feels that way, with 31 Senate races and 435 House races, not to mention one Presidential race! POPVOX is spotlighting bills related to the right to vote. We hope you'll weigh in on these bills and share this list with your friends and networks. Thanks for using POPVOX!
- HR 5815 The Deceptive Practices and Voter Intimidation Prevention Act prohibits deceptive practices in Federal elections (and S 1994.)
- HR 5799 The Voter Empowerment Act modernizes voter registration, promote access to voting for individuals with disabilities, protect the ability of individuals to exercise the right to vote in elections for Federal office.
- HR 4183 The Weekend Voting Act changes the date for regularly scheduled Federal elections and establish polling place hours.
- HR 3316 The Voter Access Protection Act prohibits election officials from requiring individuals to provide photo identification as a condition of obtaining or casting a ballot in an election for Federal office or registering to vote in elections for Federal office.
- HRes 542 Condemning the passage of legislation that would unduly burden an American citizen’s ability to vote and opposing any State election law or proposed legislation that would have a disproportionate impact on vulnerable communities across the country.
- HR 2540 The Voter Protection Hotline Act directs the Attorney General to establish and operate a toll-free nationwide telephone hotline through which individuals may obtain information on voting in elections for Federal office and report information on problems encountered in voting in such elections.
- HR 3846 The National Commission for Independent Redistricting Act establishes a National Commission for Independent Redistricting to prepare Congressional redistricting plans for all States and to require Congressional redistricting in a State to be conducted in accordance with the Commission plan for the State.
- HR 5816 The Voter Confidence and Increased Accessibility Act amends the Help America Vote Act of 2002 to require a voter-verified permanent paper ballot.
- HR 4126 The Voter ID Accessibility Act requires each voter registration agency in a State which requires an individual to present a government-issued photo identification as a condition of voting in an election for Federal office to provide such an identification without charge upon request to any such individual who does not otherwise possess one.
- HR 3978 The EASY Voting Act prohibits the dissemination of false information for the purpose of discouraging a student of an institution of higher education from registering to vote or voting in an election for Federal office, and requires States which require individuals to present a photo identification as a condition of voting in elections for Federal office to accept school-issued photo identification.
- HR 3317 The Same Day Voter Registration Act requires States to provide for same day registration.
- HR 2212 The Democracy Restoration Act secures the Federal voting rights of persons who have been released from incarceration (and S 2017.)
Please keep in mind that highlighting a bill doesn't imply a POPVOX endorsement in any way. Rather, we're simply trying to offer one more way to stay informed of an overwhelmingly complex legislative system.