Issue Spotlight: Veterans Day
An armistice to stop fighting during World War I – known at the time as “The Great War” – went into effect on the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month of 1918. The following year, President Woodrow Wilson proclaimed November 11 as the first commemoration of Armistice Day, and in 1938, the day became a federal holiday. In 1954, after World War II's historic mobilization of our armed forces and the Korean war, Congress changed "Armistice Day" to honor all veterans. (Learn more)
In honor of Veterans Day, Nov. 11, POPVOX is spotlighting veterans legislation. We hope you will take a moment to review this partial list of veterans bills (divided by issue areas) and weigh in. POPVOX will deliver your comments to your Members of Congress. And for those of you who are veterans, thank you for your service to our country.
- HR 6464 Directs the Secretary of Veterans Affairs to accept certain documents as proof of service in determining the eligibility of an individual to receive amounts from the Filipino Veterans Equity Compensation Fund.-- Recently introduced!
- HR 1025 The Honor America's Guard and Reserve Retirees Act (and S 491) recognizes the service in the reserve components of certain persons by honoring them with status as veterans under law.
- HR 319 The Veterans Day Off Act requires employers to provide veterans with time off on Veterans Day.
- S 402 The Cold War Service Medal Act (and HR 1968) awards military service medals for having served honorably during the Cold War.
- HR 6401 Requires the Secretary of Labor to carry out a pilot program on providing veterans with access at One-Stop Centers to Internet websites to facilitate online job searches.-- Recently introduced!
- HR 6563 The Veterans Jobs Corps Act requires the Secretary of Veterans Affairs to establish a veterans jobs corps.-- Recently introduced!
- S 3235 The Helping Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans Return to Employment at Home Act requires, as a condition on the receipt by a State of certain funds for veterans employment and training, that the State ensures that training received by a veteran while on active duty is taken into consideration in granting certain State certifications or licenses.-- Recently introduced!
- HR 2433 The Veterans Opportunity to Work Act makes certain improvements in the laws relating to the employment and training of veterans.
- HR 1941 The Hiring Heroes Act (and S 951) improves the provision of Federal transition, rehabilitation, vocational, and unemployment benefits to members of the Armed Forces and veterans.
- HR 6101 The Student Veteran Academic Counseling Enhancement Act improves educational counseling opportunities for veterans.-- Recently introduced!
- HR 4140 The Restore the Promise GI Bill eliminates the time limitation for use of eligibility and entitlement to educational assistance under the Montgomery GI Bill.
- S 3503 To improve the provision of work-study allowances by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs to individuals who are pursuing programs of rehabilitation, education, or training under laws administered by the Secretary.-- Recently introduced!
- S 745 S 745 protects certain veterans who would otherwise be subject to a reduction in educational assistance benefits.
- S 3340 The Mental Health ACCESS Act improves the programs and activities of the Department of Defense and the Department of Veterans Affairs regarding suicide prevention and resilience and behavioral health disorders for members of the Armed Forces and veterans.-- Recently introduced!
- HR 6527 The Women Veterans and Other Health Care Improvements Act improves the assistance provided by the Department of Veterans Affairs to women veterans, to improve health care furnished by the Department.-- Recently introduced!
- HR 6574 The Servicemember Mental Health Review Act requires a review of the separation of members of the Armed Forces on the basis of a mental condition not amounting to disability, including separation on the basis of a personality or adjustment disorder.-- Recently introduced!
- HR 6580 The Veterans Dental and Vision Benefits Act allows veterans who receive health care from the Department of Veterans Affairs to be eligible for supplemental dental and vision insurance under the Federal Employees Health Benefits Program. -- Recently introduced!
- HR 198 The Veterans Dog Training Therapy Act directs the V.A. to carry out a pilot program on dog training therapy.
- HR 396 The TBI Treatment Act creates a pilot program to make payments for traumatic brain injury treatment.
- HR 2052 The Fort McClellan Health Registry Act directs the V.A. to establish a registry of certain veterans who were stationed at Fort McClellan, Alabama.
- HR 329 The Chiropractic Care Available to All Veterans Act provides chiropractic care and services to veterans at all V.A. medical centers.
- HR 2074 The Veterans Sexual Assault Prevention and Health Care Enhancement Act requires a comprehensive policy on reporting and tracking sexual assault incidents that occur at V.A. medical facilities and improves rehabilitative services for veterans with traumatic brain injury.
- S 1689 The Veterans Sexual Assault Prevention Act requires a comprehensive policy on reporting sexual assault incidents that occur at V.A. medical facilities.
- HR 930 HR 930 improves the disability compensation evaluation procedure for veterans related to military sexual trauma.
Veterans Homelessness and Housing
- HR 5999 The Housing for Blinded Veterans Act improves the authority of the Secretary of Veterans Affairs to provide specially adapted housing assistance to blind veterans.-- Recently introduced!
- S 3349 The Zero Tolerance for Veterans Homelessness Act enhances and expands the assistance provided by the Department of Veterans Affairs and the Department of Housing and Urban Development to homeless veterans and veterans at risk of homelessness.-- Recently introduced!
- S 3614 And HR 6381 The Housing Assistance for Veterans Act (HAVEN Act) establishes a pilot program to authorize the Secretary of Housing and Urban Development to make grants to nonprofit organizations to rehabilitate and modify homes of disabled and low-income veterans.-- Recently introduced!
- S 3323 The Military Family Home Protection Act improves the protections for servicemembers against mortgage foreclosures.-- Recently introduced!
- S 1148 The Veterans Programs Improvement Act improves the provision of assistance to homeless veterans and the regulation of fiduciaries who represent individuals for purposes of receiving benefits under laws administered by the V.A.
- HR 287 The Homes for Heroes provides housing assistance for very low-income veterans.
Other Veterans Bills
- S 1707 The Veterans Second Amendment Protection Act clarifies the conditions under which certain persons may be treated as adjudicated mentally incompetent for certain purposes.
- HR 2985 The Veteran’s I.D. Card Act directs the V.A. to issue, upon request, veteran identification cards to certain veterans.
- HR 1484 The Veterans Appeals Improvement Act improves the V.A. appeals process.
Recognizing Vietnam Veterans
This year marks the 50th anniversary of the Vietnam War, in which more than 58,000 service members lost their lives.
- S 2255 Adds Welcome Home Vietnam Veterans Day as a patriotic and National observance.
- H Res 601 Expresses support for designation of a Welcome Home Vietnam Veterans Day.
- S 1629 The Agent Orange Equity Act clarifies presumptions relating to the exposure of certain veterans who served in the vicinity of the Republic of Vietnam.
- HR 3612 The Blue Water Navy Vietnam Veterans Act clarifies presumptions relating to the exposure of certain veterans who served in the vicinity of the Republic of Vietnam.
- HR 2634 The Victims of Agent Orange Relief Act provides assistance for certain individuals affected by exposure to Agent Orange and the Secretary of Veterans Affairs to enhance the availability of medical care for descendants of veterans of the Vietnam era.
- S 873 Provides benefits for children with spina bifida of veterans exposed to herbicides while serving in the Armed Forces during the Vietnam era outside Vietnam.
Please keep in mind that highlighting a bill doesn't imply a POPVOX endorsement in any way. Rather, we're simply trying to offer one more way to stay informed of an overwhelmingly complex legislative system.