Issue Spotlight: Dogs
August 26 was National Dog Day, and with National Dog Week in September, POPVOX is spotlighting bills related to dogs. Americans own more than 78 million dogs. Nearly two in five households own at least one dog, according to the American Pet Products Association National Pet Owners Survey.
Thanks for weighing in with your Members of Congress using POPVOX! We hope you'll share this list with your friends and networks.
Issue Spotlight: National Dog Day
- HRes 761 Expressing the sense of the House of Representatives regarding the practice of gassing stray cats and dogs. (Just introduced!)
- HR 2256 Pet Safety and Protection Act amends the Animal Welfare Act to ensure that all dogs and cats used by research facilities are obtained legally.
- HR 1725 To authorize the Secretary of Agriculture to make grants for the prevention of cruelty to animals to States that have enacted laws prohibiting the devocalization of dogs and cats for purposes of convenience.
- HR 198 Veterans Dog Training Therapy Act directs the Secretary of Veterans Affairs to carry out a pilot program on dog training therapy.
- S 1838 A bill to require the Secretary of Veterans Affairs to carry out a pilot program on service dog training therapy.
- HR 1154 Veterans Equal Treatment for Service Dogs Act prevents the Secretary of Veterans Affairs from prohibiting the use of service dogs on Department of Veterans Affairs property (and S 769)
- HR 835 Puppy Uniform Protection and Safety Act amends the Animal Welfare Act to provide further protection for puppies. (and S 707)
Please keep in mind that highlighting a bill doesn't imply a POPVOX endorsement in any way. Rather, we're simply trying to offer one more way to stay informed of an overwhelmingly complex legislative system.