Issue Spotlight: Disabilities
POPVOX is spotlighting bills related to people with disabilities and the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). You might also be interested in a previous Issue Spotlight on Autism, Tourette Syndrome and Children's Health. Thanks for weighing in with your Members of Congress using POPVOX -- and please share this Issue Spotlight with your friends and networks.
Issue Spotlight: Disabilities
- HR 3356 ACCESS (ADA Compliance for Customer Entry to Stores and Services) Act amends the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 to impose notice and a compliance opportunity to be provided before commencement of a private civil action.
- HR 881 ADA Notification Act amends title III of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 to require a plaintiff to provide a defendant with an opportunity to correct a violation of such title voluntarily before the plaintiff may commence a civil action.
- HR 1878 Requires that the same access to transportation and public accommodations that is afforded to individuals with disabilities who use service animals under the Americans with Disabilities Act be afforded to certified trainers of service animals.
- HR 5781 Inclusive Home Design Act requires all newly constructed, federally assisted, single-family houses and town houses to meet minimum standards of visitability for persons with disabilities.
- HR 848 Requires the Forest Service to accommodate, to the extent consistent with the management objectives and limitations applicable to the National Forest System lands at issue, individuals with mobility disabilities who need to use a power-driven mobility device for reasonable access to such lands.
- S 2191 Prohibits the Attorney General from administering or enforcing certain accessibility regulations relating to pools at public accommodations or provided by public entities (Also HR 4200.)
- HR 4256 Pool Safety and Accessibility for Everyone (Pool SAFE) Act directs the Attorney General to revise certain rules under titles II and III of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 relating to accessible means of entry to pools (Also S 2390.)
- HR 5806 Outreach to People With Disabilities During Emergencies Act amends the Homeland Security Act of 2002 to require the Administrator of the Federal Emergency Management Agency to provide guidance and coordination for outreach to people with disabilities during emergencies.
- HR 3086 Fair Wages for Workers with Disabilities Act phases out special wage certificates under the Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938 under which individuals with disabilities may be employed at subminimum wage rates.
- S 2123 Family-to-Family Health Information Resource Center Extension Act extends funding for family-to-family health information centers to help families of children with disabilities or special health care needs make informed choices about health care for their children. (Also HR 4083)
- S 1872 ABLE Act provides for the tax treatment of ABLE accounts established under State programs for the care of family members with disabilities. (Also HR 3423)
- HRes 759 Expressing the sense of the House of Representatives that supporting seniors and individuals with disabilities is an important responsibility of the US, and that a comprehensive approach to expanding and supporting a strong home care workforce and making long-term services and supports affordable and accessible in communities is necessary to uphold the right of seniors and individuals with disabilities in the US to a dignified quality of life.
- SRes 453 Expressing the sense of the Senate that supporting seniors and individuals with disabilities is an important responsibility of the US, and that a comprehensive approach to expanding and supporting a strong home care workforce and making long-term services and supports affordable and accessible in communities is necessary to uphold the right of seniors and individuals with disabilities in the US to a dignified quality of life.
Please keep in mind that highlighting a bill doesn't imply a POPVOX endorsement in any way. Rather, we're simply trying to offer one more way to stay informed of an overwhelmingly complex legislative system.