Issue Spotlight: Veterans' Unemployment
A POPVOX user alerted me to some new unemployment statistics: The unemployment rate for Iraq and Afghanistan-era veterans was 12.4 percent in July 2011 ( source ).
So we're highlighting legislation related to veterans and employment. We hope you voice your point of view on these bills and share them with your friends, family and networks.
- The Veterans Opportunity to Work Act (HR 2433) improves the employment and training of veterans; improves the Transition Assistance Program; gives governors the option of using up to 25% of the funding for direct training services for veterans; and strengthens USERRA protections. (Passed through House Committee.)
- The Hiring Heroes Act (HR 1941 and S 951 ) improves the provision of Federal transition, rehabilitation, vocational, and unemployment benefits to members of the Armed Forces and veterans. (Passed through Senate Committee.)
- The Hire A Hero Act (S 367 and HR 743 ) amends the tax code to allow the work opportunity credit to small businesses which hire individuals who are members of the Ready Reserve or National Guard
- The Help Veterans Own Franchises Act (HR 2888 and S 1540 ) allows tax credits for the establishment of franchises with veterans
- The Tax Credit to Hire Veterans Act (HR 2443) amends the tax code to increase the amount of depreciable business assets that an eligible small business can expense (i.e., deduct in the same taxable year) if such business employs certain unemployed veterans
- HR 2046 ensures that members of the Armed Forces who are being separated from active duty receive comprehensive employment assistance, job training assistance, and other transitional services
- The Post 9/11 Troops to Teachers Enhancement Act (HR 1947) amends the Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965 to allow members of the Armed Forces who served on active duty on or after September 11, 2001, to be eligible to participate in the Troops-to-Teachers Program
- The Jobs for Veterans Act (HR 1312) amends the tax code to allow an increased work opportunity credit with respect to recent veterans
- The Veteran Employment Transition Act (HR 865) amends the tax code to extend the work opportunity credit to certain recently discharged veterans
About Issue Spotlights on POPVOX
From time to time, we like to send POPVOX users an update of new bills by issue area. As in this example, if you weighed in on a bill about firearms, then you might receive an email from me alerting you to other firearms bills. (Full disclosure: while I think this idea is brilliant, it isn't mine. It was suggested by several POPVOX users -- so keep the suggestions coming!) I'll be posting these issue suggestions here, in addition to my bill picks for the day (as I explained in an earlier post ).